Updated: Mar 3
Photo Credit: IG @Kellscanon
1. What sparked the idea of creating Swank Arts and Entertainment?
I was on a plane in 2018 and I heard a voice clear as day say “you need to start a company.” So once I got home I came up with the name and purchased the EIN number but still had NO CLUE what I wanted to do with it. Fast forward to the beginning of this pandemic and taking a leave from my 9-5, I decided to revisit my business idea and merge two things that I do well together, multimedia production and event management from my years of being an independent contractor for the Essence Music Festival.
2. What is most exciting about all of the hats you hold?
Honestly the excitement comes from finding new hats to wear that I didn’t even fathom I could like Producer, or Show Runner. I would also say I really enjoy collaborating with other creatives and creating new hats all together.
3. What would you want to leave as a mark of your legacy?
I truly just want to do my part in making a difference in the LGBTQIA+ community. And leave a legacy for my family to be proud of.
4. What advice would you give to someone who is interested in pursuing owning their own media company?
The only advice I have is to just take the first step. Invest in yourself even when you’re unsure of what the outcome will be. When no one else sees and/or understands your vision all that matters is you believe it. Everyone else will catch up!
5. If you could choose to do your whole life over again would you keep it the way it is or what
would you change?
My life experiences have given me the character And personality. It’s truly made me who I am and I wouldn’t trade those experiences for anything.
6. Tell everyone where they can find you and what you are working on Social Media, ETC.
YouTube: Swank Arts & Entertainment, LLC
Instagram: @Swankartsent, @DewayneQ
Please subscribe, and turn on the notifications for our YouTube Channel. As well as our IG Story. We have some amazing content to help educate and uplift our community!
Look out for “Loves Disservice” a movie about domestic violence in the Lesbian community.
Catch me every Thursday night at 8p est For the Affairs Of The Heart Live Podcast where we explore Love, Sex, and Relationships from a Black Gay Male perspective only on Facebook and YouTube.